Richard M. Schall
Throughout his 30-year career as an employment lawyer in the State of New Jersey, Richard Schall, who is “of counsel” to the firm, has represented individuals in virtually every facet of employment law, including claims involving race, sex, age, and disability discrimination, reasonable accommodation, the Family Medical Leave Act, wrongful termination, breach of contract, retaliation and non-compete agreements.
In every year since 2005, he has been named by his peers to the list of “Super Lawyers” in New Jersey in the field of employment litigation-plaintiff, and has also been honored, in every year since 2009, as among the “Best Lawyers in America” in the field of labor and employment law in New Jersey.
As a highly trained trial lawyer, Mr. Schall has tried numerous cases to successful verdicts on behalf of his clients. He has also appeared before the New Jersey Supreme Court in a number of critical cases involving issues of employment law. Along with partner Patricia Barasch, Mr. Schall successfully brought the case of Seiden v. Marina Associates, the very first case in the State of New Jersey to clearly address the proper legal framework for analyzing reasonable accommodation/disability discrimination cases. He also represented the plaintiff in the case of Maw v. Advanced Clinical Communications, Inc. (ultimately decided by the Supreme Court), which challenged an employer’s right to fire an employee simply because she refused to sign an overbroad non-compete agreement.
Mr. Schall is a graduate of the Trial Lawyers’ College run by the reknowned trial lawyer, Gerry Spence, having received three weeks of intensive training in the art of the trial in the summer of 2005 at Mr. Spence’s ranch in Wyoming.
Mr. Schall is past-president of the National Employment Lawyers’ Association-New Jersey. In 2012, along with his partner Patricia Barasch, Mr. Schall served as the editor of the “Library of New Jersey Employment Forms,” published by the New Jersey Law Journal.
Before founding Schall & Barasch LLC in 2000, Mr. Schall was a partner with the prominent South Jersey firm of Tomar, Simonoff, heading up the firm’s employment law practice. He started his law career clerking for the Honorable Dolores K. Sloviter of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. As an adjunct professor, Mr. Schall has taught legal research and writing as well as labor law at Rutgers University School of Law. Richard Schall lives in Brooklyn, New York with his wife.
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- State of New Jersey Roster of Mediators for Civil, General
- Equity and Probate Cases
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- National Employment Lawyers Association/ New Jersey
- JD, New York University School of Law, 1987
- MA, Labor Studies, Rutgers University, 1984
- BA, Swarthmore College, 1971
- Trial Lawyers’ College,. 2005
- President of the National Employment Lawyers Association/New Jersey, 2000 – 2004
- Co-chair of the Employment Law Seminar, Association of Trial Lawyers of America/New Jersey 2005 -2007
- New Jersey Supreme Court Model Civil Jury Charge Committee, 2005-2010
- 20th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America for in the practice area of Employment Law – Individuals, 2014
- Super Lawyer for Employment Litigation: Plaintiff, NJ Monthly Magazine, 2005 – 2014
- Best Lawyers in America, for Labor and Employment Law, 2009 – 2013,
- Root-Tilden Scholar, New York University School of Law, 1984-1987
Bar and Court Admissions
- US Supreme Court, 2002
- US District Court – Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1988
- US District Court – New Jersey, 1988
- US Court of Appeals – Third Circuit, 1988
- Courts of the State of New Jersey, 1987
- Courts of the State of Pennsylvania, 1987
* In every year since 2014, the law firm of Schall & Barasch has been included in the Tier 1 list of best law firms in New Jersey practicing in the field of employment law on behalf of individuals. This list is compiled by U.S. News & World Report. A description of the selection methodology can be found at www.bestlawfirms.usnews.com/methodology.aspx.
** The methodology for the Avvo ratings of Richard Schall and Patricia Barasch can be found at www.avvo.com/support/avvo_rating.
*** In every year since 2009, Richard Schall has been chosen to be included on the list of Best Lawyers in New Jersey practicing in the field of labor and employment law. The Best Lawyers list is issued by Best Lawyers International. A description of the selection methodology can be found at www.bestlawyers.com/about/MethodologyBasic.aspx.
**** In every year since 2005, both Patricia Barasch and Richard Schall have been chosen to be included on the list of Super Lawyers in New Jersey practicing in the field of employment law on behalf of plaintiffs. The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.
No aspect of these advertisements has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.